Sunday, October 21, 2012

I tend to dread the trials in my life.

Over the past three years (36 months- not mistakenly the same period of time we fought cancer)  I have been exploring how God teaches me humility through difficult circumstances (or trials).

The tumultuous waves leaves me with sand in my pants.





I tend to dread the trials in my life: conflicts with other people, physical limitations and sickness, lack of money or other resources, weaknesses, dealing with sinful habits, etc. I tend to think that my life will be better if I have fewer trials and more comfort.

 I want to consider a different attitude toward such circumstances. If pride is my greatest enemy and humility my greatest friend, then circumstances that lead to humility are also my friend.

Making peace with my limitations/weaknesses is an expression of humility.
In many ways have I have come face-to-face with own limitations.

 I've realized that:
•   I can’t do the things I used to do physically...aging is real.
 •  I can't control my children.
•   I can't control cancer.
•   I can’t handle all the circumstances that surround me (work, home, church, friendships, etc.).

When my limitations are exposed, it would be a huge mistake to think, “If I just try harder and seek God more, I won’t have these limitations.”

There is a place for trying harder and for seeking God more.  But our goal in life isn’t to get so strong and competent and “together” that we no longer have limitations or weaknesses. That’s not going to happen.  Our limitations aren’t a curse. They’re an opportunity to learn humility.  They are a God-given reminder that He is omni-everything and we are omni-nothing.

I am making peace with my limitations. 2 Corinthians 12:9. Jesus said this to Paul-
"And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me".


Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment