Thursday, May 31, 2012

Running With Horses

Running With Horses
If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? (Jeremiah 12:5)
May 31 2012 by sherry

Amazingly enough, this has long been one of my favorite scriptures through-out my life.  I say 'amazingly'- because when one reads this context, the prophet Jeremiah is pretty much whining to God about how tough life is and this is God's reply to him "If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?".

Some people read this and become discouraged, thinking "Oh no, life is going to get tougher??" But I've always interpreted this (for me)  that the Lord has much more in store for me- and though it may not be for the weak at heart- He is my continued source of strength.

Life was extremely difficult for Jeremiah despite his love for and obedience to God. When Jeremiah cried out to God for relief, God's reply to Jeremiah was, "If you have raced with the foot soldiers and have become weary, how are you going to compete with horses?" God's reply in effect was,  "If you get tired while running with the foot soldiers, what are you going to do when you have to run with stallions?" The ultimate question to Jeremiah was, "What are you going to do in severe trials that are sure to come?".


"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."(Matthew 11:28).

I've seen wild horses run.  When we lived in Wyoming there was a wild herd of Mustangs that ran just outside of town. They always amazed me. They moved in unity with power and grace. It was a beautiful sight to behold.  And to think that the Lord can enable me to run 'my race' with that same sense of freedom, power and grace? Amazing!

It is simply amazing how many of us buckle under trials and/or tests. Even though life can be hard for us at certain intervals of our lives, the Lord's grace unfolds rhythmically in an unforced manner and 'when we are weak, He is strong'.



 Maybe it's time we begin to learn of Him; learn the unforced rhythms of grace.

Are you keeping up with the foot soldiers? Are you getting weary? Can you run with horses?

Running with the horses can be an exciting time of personal transformation.


 

P.S. I don't know how many times I used the word 'amazing' but is there another, 
more descriptive word than 'amazing'? 



No comments:

Post a Comment